The Tiffen Company Releases Major Upgrade to Its Tiffen Dfx Digital Filter Suite
New Tiffen Dfx 4 now also supports digital intermediate workflows; adds historical photographic processes and motion picture film stocks to its collection of features and capabilities
The Tiffen Company has released the highly-anticipated version 4 of the multiple award-winning Tiffen Dfx digital filter suite. The special effects software delivers even more illustrious video and still image effects to its already extensive package. Version 4 adds OFX plug-in support, making it compatible with digital intermediate programs Blackmagic Design, Davinci Resolve, and Assimilate Scratch, as well as the high-end Nuke visual effects program from The Foundry.
The Tiffen Dfx 4 upgrade also includes support for Sony Vegas NLEs, as well as 12 new visual effects filters, 93 new historical photographic processes, 30 new motion picture film stocks, a dramatic speed increase in GPU acceleration, state-of-the-art floating point precision for a non-destructive workflow, and vivid Retina display support for Mac.
“The Tiffen Dfx digital filter suite is the premier effects suite for professional photographers, top motion picture filmmakers, video editors, and visual effects artists across the globe, and Dfx 4 takes the art of editing with effects to the next level of creative ingenuity,” says Steve Tiffen, president and CEO, The Tiffen Company. “In terms of effects and workflow diversity, Dfx 4 represents one of the most comprehensive upgrades for the Tiffen Dfx brand, and we look forward to seeing the incredible imagery Tiffen users will create with these outstanding new features and capabilities.”
According to Tiffen, Dfx is the only plug-in package that replicates award-winning Tiffen optical filtering, Rosco and Gam gobos and gels, plus hundreds of photographic film stocks. It is a complete cinematographer/editor toolkit that provides the majority of Tiffen optical filters within a single software suite designed to work with industry-standard photo and video editing applications.
The new sleek interface delivers a faster and better workflow, the company reports. GPU acceleration using OpenCL takes advantage of the system’s graphic processers, dissolving the time between an idea, a click and a result. Executive Director Bailey Eubanks emphasizes the importance of the high-quality Tiffen Dfx software and new release: “What makes Tiffen Dfx stand out from the rest is certainly the quality. Digitally converted from the reputable Tiffen filters, Dfx 4 now boasts upwards of 130 individual filter options. When I’m telling stories through video and images, its aesthetics are key in conveying the narrative. I can always count on Tiffen, as it has been raised on a legacy of creating the world’s best images. Dfx 4, now faster with multi-processing capabilities and GPU acceleration, doesn’t fall short of the Tiffen name.”
Tiffen Dfx 4 Features and Highlights Include:
- 12 new filters – Borders, Cartoon, Colorize Gradient, Detail, Develop, Grunge, Harris Shutter, Pastel, Pearlescent®, Radial Tint, Satin® and Tone Adjust
- 93 historical film processes and 30 motion picture film stocks added as new presets within the popular film stocks filter
- More parameters and tools added to presets – includes new tools for color correction, tint enhancement, and gradient control
- Process in 32-bit floating point precision – ability to selectively access your image’s dynamic range without clipping values in a true non-destructive workflow. Improved easier and faster “on board” masking tools for the Dfx still programs – photo plug-in and standalone.
- New edge-aware smoothing algorithm (great for skin smoothing) added to some filters for refined control and application
- New Curve Tool for still programs – designed to control tonal range through RGB and individual red, green and blue curves. Adjustable curve points for shadow and highlight control
- Improved Interface – new optimized preview size – images can now be previewed in 4096, 2048, and 1024 pixels. Keyboard control added for brushes and new look to sliders, buttons, and icons. Mac Retina display support.
For a full list of Tiffen Dfx 4 features and tech specs, along with a free, full working 15-day trial, visit: www.tiffensoftware.com/products.
To get more information on how to upgrade your current version of Tiffen Dfx, visit: http://www.tiffensoftware.com/product/upgrades.